Community Info

Note: all the calls to numbers beginning with 1800 are free, except from mobile phones

Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) If you need an interpreter to help you to communicate over the phone. This is a free service. Tel: 13 14 50

 Aged care information, referral and advocacy


The My Aged Care website has been established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system. The Gateway is part of the Australian Government’s changes to the aged care system which have been designed to give people more choice, more control and easier access to a full range of aged care services. The contact centre can be phoned on 1800 200 422 between 8.00am and 8.00pm on weekdays and between 10.00am and 2.00pm on Saturdays. The My Aged Care phone line is closed on Sundays and national public holidays. Click here to access the My Aged Care website.

Australian Finnish Rest Home Association (AFRHA) Aged care provider for the Australian Finnish community, based in Brisbane Queensland. Provides home care services, retirement living and residential care. Tel: (07) 3829 4800 Website:

Aged Care Complaints
Concerns or complaints about the quality of care or services. This is a free and confidential service. Tel: 1800 550 552 Website:

Older Persons Advocacy Network 
Information about your rights regarding aged care services. Tel (Victoria): 03 – 9602 3066 Website:

Home & Community Care (HACC) Program
In Victoria, the Home & Community Care Program continues to provide funding for services which support younger people (under 65) with disabilities and their carers. These services provide basic support and maintenance to people living at home. For more information about HACC services and the transition to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) CLICK HERE or contact

Senior Citizen Services

COTA (the Council on the Ageing) Victoria Information and education programs for older people, promotes positive ageing and campaigns on senior citizens´ issues. Tel: (03) 9654 4443 Website: Seniors Information Victoria (link):

Seniors Rights Victoria Provides information, support, advice and education to help prevent elder abuse and safeguard the rights, dignity and independence of older people. Tel: 1300 368 821 Website:

Seniors Online An online community filled with useful information for older people in Victoria. This website is managed by the Aged Care Branch, Wellbeing, Integrated Care and Aged Division, of the Department of Health, Victorian State Government, Australia. For further information regarding Victorian Government aged care programs please contact: Tel: (03) 9096 7389 Website:


Carers Victoria Carers Victoria is the statewide voice for family carers, representing and providing support to carers in Victoria. Tel: 1800 242 636 Website:

Dementia services

National Dementia Helpline Support, information and advice on dementia, memory issues and the services provided by Alzheimer’sAustralia. Tel: 1800 100 500 Website:

Dementia Behaviour Management Advisory Service (DBMAS) Vic The DBMAS program provides clinical support for people caring for someone with dementia who is demonstrating behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD) which are impacting on their care. Advice on behaviour management and support for carers. 24 hour service. Tel: 1800 699 799 Website:

The Alzheimer Society of Finland (Muistiliitto r.y.) Provides help and assistance for people with Alzheimer’s disease and their caregivers. The society is a member organisation of the Alzheimer’s Disease International and Alzheimer Europe. Email: Website:

Health & Allied Health Services

Nurse on Call (Health advice) NURSE-ON-CALL is a phone service that provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you think your situation is an emergency, you should always call 000 or go to an emergency department at a hospital. Tel: 1300 60 60 24 Website:

Independent Living Centre (ILC) Provides information and advice on aids and equipment for people with disabilities (also aged people). The ILC has an extensive range of Assistive Technology for daily living on display. Tel: 9362 6111 Website:

Victorian Aids and Equipment Program (A&EP) Provides people with a permanent or long-term disability with subsidised aids, equipment and vehicle and home modifications to enhance independence in their home, also supports families and carers in their role. Tel: 1300 650 172 Website:

Vision Australia Help and support for people who are blind or have low vision. Tel: 1300 84 74 66 Website:

Australian Hearing Provides a full range of services and hearing devices for people with hearing impairment. Tel: 13 17 97 Website:

Other Community Services

Personal Alert Victoria (PAV) Personal monitoring service for frail, older people and people with disabilities that responds to calls for assistance 24 hours a day. Contact Mt Eliza Personal Assistance Call Service for more information or your local council’s Aged and Disability officer. Tel: 1800 451 300 (Peninsula Health MEPACS) Website:

Carer Card (Victorian Government Program) Provides a wide range of discounts and benefits from businesses, the local government and community organizations, and travel discounts on public transport. Tel: 1800 901 958 Website:

Companion Card For people with permanent disability, who need attendant care support to access community activities and venues. The companion will be issued a second entry ticket at no charge. Tel: 1800 650 611 Website:

Multi Purpose Taxi Program Provides half price taxi fares for Victorians with a severe and permanent disability who are not able to use other kinds of transportation. Tel: 1800 638 802 Website:

Centrelink: Disability, Sickness and Carers, and Retirement services Tel: 13 27 17 Multilingual Call Tel: 13 12 02 Retirement Services Tel: 13 23 00 Website:

Public Transport Victoria Public Transport Victoria is your central stop for information on public transport services, fares, tickets and initiatives throughout Melbourne and surrounds (formerly Metlink). Tel: 1800 800 007 Website:

Travellers’ Aid Australia Travellers Aid Australia supports travellers by providing simple, practical travel-related support and aid that helps them travel independently and confidently, no matter what their background. The support includes equipment hire, assistance with personal care, personal guidance/assistance with transport, medical companion for appointments etc. Website:

Travellers Aid at Southern Cross Station Tel: 9670 2072 Email:

Travellers Aid at Flinders StreetStation Tel: 9610 2030 Email:

Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) Independent statutory body established by the Victorian State Government, works to protect and promote the interests, rights and dignity of people with a disability. Provides advice about guardianship and powers of attorney. Tel: 1300 309 337 Website:

Victoria Legal Aid Helps people with their legal problems and protects the rights of socially and economically disadvantaged Victorians. Helps in the areas of criminal law, family law and some civil law matters. Tel: 9269 0120 Website:


Victoria Online This website is the fastest way to find local, state or federal government information and services. The link below takes you to the list of all Victorian local councils. Tel: 1300 366 356 (Victorian Government Contact Centre) Website: